Join now
Log in Join

Need expat info for United Kingdom?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Unemployment Benefits in the UK with relevant information for expats.

Jan-Peter van Tijk

Living in the UK, from the Netherlands

"I wish I'd found InterNations sooner: It would have made my first few month as an expat in London much less overwhelming."

Therese Yeboah

Living in the UK, from Ghana

"For me, the InterNations events are the best part. I attend almost every get-together and always get to know lots of friendly fellow expats."

InterNations - a community of trust

Social Security & Taxation

Unemployment Benefits in the UK

If you are planning to relocate to the UK, it will obviously affect your personal finances. Don’t just think about short-term costs! It’s never too early to consider financial cushions or retirement planning. Our in-depth guide explains how UK social security, pensions, and other government benefits work.

Let’s assume that you have made it to the UK and have been working there for a while. What will happen, though, if you lose your job for some reason? Obviously, let’s hope that this question will never arise. Nonetheless, it helps to know your rights and responsibilities in such a “worst case” scenario.

Eligibility for Jobseeker’s Allowance

If you have acquired either British citizenship or the indefinite leave to remain in the UK, you may be able to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance while you keep applying for a job in the UK. To get this financial benefit, you need to fulfill the following conditions:

A single unemployed person aged 25 or older currently gets £71.70 per week. They may be eligible to apply for Housing Benefits as well, in order to help pay the monthly rent.

EU vs. Non-EU Nationals

EU nationals who lose their job in the UK may be entitled to Jobseeker’s Allowance, too. They normally meet the criteria for the so-called “Habitual Residence Test”, but they must have been working in the country for a certain minimum period.

For non-EEA nationals, this Habitual Residence Test (HRT) is one of the biggest obstacles to receiving unemployment benefits. In some cases, applying for Jobseeker’s Allowance may even hurt their immigration status. This happens, for example, if

Even if you aren’t officially “subject to immigration control”, you must pass said Habitual Residence Test. You need not only have the legal right to live in the UK, but you should regard it as your habitual residence and actual home.

In any case, please get independent advice before contacting a Job Centre or any other government office. The Citizens Advice Bureau can counsel you on legal questions regarding immigration status and Jobseeker’s Allowance, as well as other benefits.

A Penny Saved…

Even if you do get Jobseeker’s Allowance, the sum will never permit you to uphold your previous standard of living. In areas like Greater London, it probably won’t even come close to covering the regular cost of living.

So, if you are planning a move to the UK, do a financial review of your assets first. If you should become unemployed, you’ll need a “Plan B” – a spouse or relative to support you, or a nice little “nest egg” to fall back on in hard times, while you are searching for a new position.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

InterNations Expat Magazine